Friday, November 4, 2011

"Call and Response: Jane Hudson."



“I don’t experience life in a linear fashion, in any kind of continuum.

It’s moment, moment, moment, moment.”
Amy Hempel


THE CALL: send 2-4 pieces of evidence.
It could be images of your work, work you like,
things you find interesting.


JANE HUDSON'S RESPONSE:


Hi Tom...I'm responding to your request for four things of interest for your blog.



Here's the first, which is from Cricket Creek Farm, a local CSA, that is part of a very active locavore movement in these parts. Sustainable farming/eating/economy being at issue.
I'll send other items under separate emails.
Cheers, Jane





Tom...here's one of my pictures of a house in my neighborhood. Clearly this building is from another era, cottage living. Thinking about small in this post-McMansion time. Idea of sepia toning is to evoke the past through an older technological frame while identifying its viability as a present trope.
Cheers, J





This is an image of a re-release of our music from the early '80's which includes all material recorded as Jeff and Jane in that time. Available through Dark Entries Records or on iTunes.





Phenomenal techno-thrill by the brilliant writer of Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash, The Diamond Age. Just blown away by it! Locate REAMDE here.


Tomschulzartist responds: I first met Jane Hudson fourteen years ago. I was a late-comer to grad school and she was gracious in pointing out to me that it didn't matter if I entered through the back door or the front door. Because there were no doors. She courageously challenged my artist's strategy of obfuscation. Well, evidently not all lessons take root.

I've been ruminating all week on the information that Jane sent. Looking for a connection, for a narrative.

I remembered when I was a kid and went fishing with my old man. Dad thought patience was something that belonged in a hospital, and not on a john boat. When his line got tangled (and his line always got tangled) he would pull and curse and smoke. Eventually he handed the muddled mess off to me. I learned to cajole and coax the ten-pound test like I was the freakin' mono-filament whisperer. That skill set serves me well here at empathinc.

Four things of interest. Then I saw it: the gift in the information was that I was allowed to discover my own connections. I wasn't told what to see. What freedom! Instantly all the shiftings from one time to another time, irretraceable cultural mores and digressions, skittering viabilities and evocative sustainabilities relaxed into nothing less than Ariadne's yarn.

Vernon Howard said that, "If you switch on the light in a dark room, it makes no difference how long it was dark, because the light will still shine. Be teachable. That is the whole secret.”

Fourteen years, and she's still telling me secrets.

On Oct 28, 2011, at 1:59 PM, Jane Hudson wrote:

Hope I didn't overwhelm. Did as you asked, and I await your response. Will you let me know when you do, or should I subscribe?
J

Overwhelm? Are you kidding? That's my brier patch.
I'll let you know, but subscribing is always nice.
T


While comprehending both the conveniences and pitfalls of a Cause and Effect existence, here at empathinc. we prefer to live in a Call and Response Universe. This series is an exploration of that space.

Thank you Jane, for Responding to the Call.
Cheers, Tom.


2 comments:

Mountain woman said...

Tom...I couldn't ask for a more exciting response to my offerings. If there was ever anything I wished to pass on (and BTW remember for myself) is that life offers no obvious pathways, and that we make our own way as creatively as we can.
Thanks for the chance to explore.
Cheers, Jane

Jane Schulz said...

Tom, I wish I could know this Jane. Apparently she had quite an influence on your thinking.

I find it comforting to be able to choose my memories. It allows me to discard a few and hold on to the others.