Friday, November 11, 2011

"Call and Response: Isaac Schulz."



To understand what I really am at this moment, I need sincerity and humility, and an unmasked exposure that I do not know. This would mean to refuse nothing, exclude nothing and enter the experience of discovering what I think, what I sense, what I wish,
all at this very moment.”

Jeanne de Salzmann


THE CALL: send 2-4 pieces of evidence.
It could be images of your work, work you like,
things you find interesting.


ISAAC SCHULZ' RESPONSE:


Isaac Schulz 5:08am Nov 6
trying to think of four things i like is hard for me

Tom Schulz 6:21am Nov 6
try four things of interest. Try four things that you don't like. Try four random things. Evidence.

Date: November 8, 2011 7:04:51 PM EST
To: tomschulzartist@gmail.com
Four things of interest have been sent.





This video interested me yesterday.





"I haven’t spent thousands of hours on the streets creating a name
for it to be used as some bullshit 'charity'."

read interview here.




Three: Shibuya Wildcats
follow blog here




Number Four: Me:



Tomschulzartist responds: My Grandmother lived to be just shy of 105. She would be furious at me for this disclosing indiscretion. I used to marvel at all the technological and cultural landmarks that occurred during her lifetime. But that's chump change compared to the speed of change that artist Isaac Schulz lives within and works into.

Currently based in Tokyo, Schulz chews through information like a vacationer at a seafood buffet - a hunter gatherer on aesthetic steroids. I find it intriguing that he can find more things of interest than things he likes. And one wonders if it is interesting yesterday, is it still interesting today? This is not to say that I believe information is disposable for Isaac. It's a Lego, a microchip, a structural component, a layer of paint.

What I see in these 'four things of interest' is a declarative statement regarding the significance of self. A responsible self that recognizes the essential creativity involved in Being.

It's like hearing. Really hearing, when Rilke says that, "...the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.”

And then that's exactly what you set about doing.



While comprehending both the conveniences and pitfalls of a Cause and Effect existence, here at empathinc. we prefer to live in a Call and Response Universe. This series is an exploration of that space.


Thank you Isaac, for Responding to the Call.
Yo, Tom.



No comments: