Friday, October 16, 2009

"Self-Indexing Landscapes (for Sheila)"



"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
"
William Blake
Augeries of Innocence



"#1 Pin Oak / Transmitter"© 2009
"Autumn Missed Subset"
from the Convenient Non-locality Series©


It would be easy for us to consider ourselves tight and complete packets. Closed systems wandering about in some vast landscape.
Our fear of invisibility might even, ironically, evoke a need to remain cloistered within ourselves. Necessarily separate and maintaining a discrete distance from all the bothersome chaos wrought by a world in constant motion.
Yet,
we are permeable constructions, we humans: impacted profoundly by the passing of seasons, the discourse of time, the perceived profanity of catastrophe.


"#3 Dogwood / Elizabeth Water Tower"© 2009
"Autumn Missed Subset"
from the Convenient Non-locality Series©


The original philosophies under girding the idea of Empathy regard how we humans occupy space. Tonight, as I rush through The Void upon a cathedral of verdant possibilities, I would like to embrace a concept of participation that I will now call apogenesis. Rather than think that my creative processes are an isolated and internalized mechanism of individual interpretation, I will take heed of the call to go out and be an integral member of a self indexed pattern of origin(ating). I will choose to breathe in the hues of the Autumn, and am looking forward to seeing your humble, osmotic selves made present in the golds and crimsons.



Dedication of Alan Bigelow Altar and Light Sculpture Presbyterian Hospice and Palliative Care Film by Isaac Schulz Brilliant World 2009


"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."
Jack London



Do you realize - we're floating in space?

Next week: invisible architecture.



6 comments:

donna said...

Help me out, oh brillant one, with understanding the definition of apogenesis. Also liked the song posted about dying/living. I connected it with Spong's forum this morning. Actually, just about everything he said over the week-end was a continuation of our Faith and Arts dialogue. Totally awwesome! (you and him)

Tom Schulz said...

Donna,
I actually had the word apogenesis given to me in a dream. Next day, while poking around for meaning I stumbled upon the Persian god Mithras - who wrestled a bull long before Theseus battled the Minotaur. Fascinating!
The Greek prefix apo refers to being sent away from (like Apostle). Genesis has to do with birthing and originating. I am using apogenesis then, to denote a way of going out into the world to practice creativity. A format of Being outside of one's self in an osmotic response to situational episodes.

tim said...

We are, I believe, called to be artists, to help create, and continue creating, the world.

Every blade of grasss has its Angel that bends over it and whispers, "Grow, Grow." The Talmud

Tom Schulz said...

Tim,
Wonderful comment and citation. Thanks.
One night, over beers with Isaac , I commented (as was my belief at the time) that everyone is an artist. He scoffed, and said that he thought it was the practice of being an artist that made someone an artist. A call to arms! That one distinction propels potential into action.

Melinda said...

In your light I learn how to love.

In your beauty how to make poems.

You dance inside my chest, where no one sees you.

but sometimes I do and that sight becomes this art.

-Rumi

and perhaps each work of art is a prayer, a dialogue with and a window into and onto the Divine.

Tom Schulz said...

Melinda,
Thanks for stopping by.
I had to ponder your contribution to the Conversation for a few days. I really agree with what you are saying.
In my own process, I try to be receptive to what information is being given to me, trusting that it has value. Especially if that value is not immediately recognizable.
In that way, I attempt to be open to the nuances of the dialogue you describe.