Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"Call and Response: Fractal Convergence"


"In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed."
Charles Darwin

"Plastic Landscape"© 2009
From "The Systemic Amazement Factorial"©

"Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern."
Alfred North Whitehead
"Fractal Fireflies #11" © 2009
From The "Spidey-Hole Series, Fractal Fireflies Subset"

“Most people don’t realize there’s this call and response going on,” Dr. Lewis said. “But it’s very, very easy to talk to fireflies.”

Read entire NY Times article here

"Dance of the Sylphs" © 2009
From "The Systemic Amazement Factorial"©

In
my neighborhood, dusk evolves slowly into night. The commuters cease their commutering, the joggers complete their joggering. The goldfinch dines once more on thistle, and then disappears into the verdant undergrowth.
In my neighborhood, the new couple walks their two dogs. He shakes the rain from the overhanging crepe myrtle. She squeals in feigned distress and he laughs in a low voice that belies his intention.
In my neighborhood, TV screens, laptops, Ipods and cell phones emit a ghostly beckoning from living rooms and dens.



"Fractal Fireflies #10" © 2009
From The "Spidey-Hole Series, Fractal Fireflies Subset"

In my neighborhood, stories are read and children are tucked in.
"Night, night."
Ice trays are cracked, and bags of chips are opened.
"Sweet dreams."
Fireflies imbue the shaded lawns with their own mesh topology,
"I love you."



"Structure and Content Comparatives" © 2009
Acid and polymer on concrete. with shale, powder coated aluminum


Recently, I uncovered a trove of my paintings, some of which date back forty years. As I shuffled through each image, I realized that I have been using the same post relativity imagery during this life time of visual pursuit: grids, circles, squares - the light behind the trees. All redundant interconnections serving to attract some Hidden Other. What I strive so to attract I have yet to be able to Name.

What do you endeavor to attract, human?







No comments: