Saturday, July 16, 2011

"Summeries" #1.


“People travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the seas, at the long course of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars, and yet they pass by themselves without wondering.”


St. Augustine

I take notes. It's more than a habit, it's one of my spiritual practices. Little bits of information, inventions, observations, lists, and some more lists. Stream of consciousness sketching while conversing or listening. I heard that Jack Kerouac had a really long piece of paper that he put into his typewriter so that he wouldn't have to stop typing - wouldn't have to interrupt a thought stream (I might be wrong about that and probably could look it up. But then again - so could you. Feel free to get back to me on that). Well it's just like that except it's not, if you catch my meaning.

So I am going to present a series of "Summeries". Random cullings from years of sketch books, notebooks, scraps of paper. I'll include associated responses as I develop a story based on
the story. What I find fascinating is that I have been rather consistent in chasing after that thing that I have yet to name. Maybe you can appreciate that. Maybe you have been on a similar quest.

Summer reading. Summeries.


“Actualized Dreams” #1.

When I finish building this, I will come and visit you. We will be able to act like we have all the time in the world: because we will. And more. We can talk until sunrise and never be missed in our other lives. Our other schedules…….good times.


“Actualized Dreams” #2.

At the close of each session, both guides would intentionally lose themselves among the ruins. After leading for so long, giving up control was exhilarating. That each one discretely left delicate blazes (simply as a matter of precaution) was a shared and open secret …….good times.


“Actualized Dreams” #3.

We visited the thin space: where our peripheries became osmotic, and we didn’t so much share things as we each exchanged things. One completeness for the other…….good times.


All work by Tom Schulz, unless otherwise noted.

Please leave comments as you feel so inclined. Tom can be reached via the World Wide Web. tomschulzartist@gmail.com, tom@empathinc.com. Please join Empathinc. on facebook at:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/empathinc/475680795088

No comments: