Saturday, May 2, 2009

"The Words of My Roaring"

"To the Chief Musician"


"Motif Motif"            Study for Weisiger Chapel               2009

"The straight warp of necessity, not to be swerved from its ultimate course - its every alternating vibration, indeed, only tending to that; free will still free to ply her shuttle between given threads; and chance, though restrained in its play within the right lines of necessity, and sideways in its motions modified by free will, though thus prescribed to by both, chance by turns rules either, and has the last featuring blow at events."
Hermann Melville, Moby-Dick or, The Whale 1851


Pew End Detail              Weisiger Chapel                       2009

"Roll away the stone
Don't leave me here all alone
Resurrect me and protect me
Don't leave me laying here
What will they do in two thousand years?"
Leon Russell 1970


Motif and Actuality - the Concrete and the Abstract

"Eli, Eli, lama sabach'thani"


"Clarifying Arrangement"
Copper and Stainless Steel Armature, Cement, Black Walnut. Metallic Paints and Reactive Patinas        2009

To be forsaken is to place oneself in the position of opportunity (if we keep our heads about ourselves). Each new threshold may only be crossed when the old world is left behind with abandon.
But fear not, 
 for we shall (each of us) be recognized by those willing to see us.
I would never insinuate that such a passage is without its own specific trials and traumas, but still I maintain that such is the fodder of many a great narrative.



2 comments:

john schulz said...

let me tell you of a story I heard on NPR the other day. I may get some of the names and words wrong, but it's the thought that counts. That's what I understand this part of the forum to be about. What I am going to say applies whether you are Jewish, Christian, or anything else including Atheist.

Rabbi Hillel (I think that's the right name, but if it's not right, then pretend it is) was a contemporary of Jesus. He was confronted by a group of heatherns who told him that if he could stand on one foot and recite the entire Torah, then they would convert to his religion.

The Rabbi stood on one foot and said:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

He paused. Then he looked at them and said:

"That is the Torah, the rest is commentary."

I am not very religious, but I found that relative to my life.

john

Tom Schulz said...

That's a great story. I love illustrations of the significance of foundation. Thanks for joining the conversation.